Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Multiple stage databases

2 posters

Go down

Question on Multiple stage databases Empty Question on Multiple stage databases

Post  mru22 Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

We have a project that will have to pull data from a few external sources. Some of these sources might eventually be used in other data warehouse projects and some of the soruces
may have identical table names but different schemas'

I was wondering if it makes more sense to have separate stage databases that mimic the OLTP systems or just have one stage database with all of the tables from all systems. If I go with one database then there is the possiblity that we could have two tables that represent the same thing with different schemas.

I was leaning toward separate stage databases and assumed over time if the number of tables grow it might be logically easier to maintain the separate stage databases.
But I am reltively new to ETL design and wasn't sure if there were other things I should consider.

Any thoughts are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks,

mru22

Back to top Go down

Question on Multiple stage databases Empty Re: Question on Multiple stage databases

Post  ngalemmo Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't think it matters much one way or the other. Do what suits your environment.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down