Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact slowly changed issue

2 posters

Go down

Fact slowly changed issue Empty Fact slowly changed issue

Post  mek Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:19 am

hello,

i'm designing Data mart for the billing system the FactInvoices contains columns related to the invoices and it's invoices items sample of the columns as the below :

FactID
InvoiceNumber
InvoiceIssueDate
PorductID
Amount
PaidStautsID

now some of the columns changes over time for example the invoice issued at 1-1-2013 and paid at 3-1-2013 so i need to make some kind of slowly change type 2 at the fact table to keep that historical changes so i added 3 columns at the fact ValidTill , Validform and Iscurrent

my questions are :

1- is that valid solution or i will face trouble at the SSAS ?
2- i need to know the best practice to trace changes over time at business process (billing ,ordering fulfillment ) like invoice , work orders and trouble shooting tickets which had daily changes in its fields like Group ,status,handling agent , priority ,..... ?

thanks
Mohamed

mek

Back to top Go down

Fact slowly changed issue Empty Re: Fact slowly changed issue

Post  chade25 Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:23 pm

mek wrote:hello,

i'm designing Data mart for the billing system the FactInvoices contains columns related to the invoices and it's invoices items sample of the columns as the below :

FactID
InvoiceNumber
InvoiceIssueDate
PorductID
Amount
PaidStautsID

now some of the columns changes over time for example the invoice issued at 1-1-2013 and paid at 3-1-2013 so i need to make some kind of slowly change type 2 at the fact table to keep that historical changes so i added 3 columns at the fact ValidTill , Validform and Iscurrent

my questions are :

1- is that valid solution or i will face trouble at the SSAS ?
2- i need to know the best practice to trace changes over time at business process (billing ,ordering fulfillment ) like invoice , work orders and trouble shooting tickets which had daily changes in its fields like Group ,status,handling agent , priority ,..... ?

thanks
Mohamed

I dont fully get the issue. You can have a time dimension with dates and a lot more to better describe the dates, so if you had bill date and paid date, you would have 2 foreign keys when they change it will insert a new record and keep the history as you want. So, if a customer makes multiple payments that date is recorded on the fact table with the amount, and since that date is a foreign key to the dimension, it will insert a new record. But be cautious, if you are recording two business events in one fact table, then you want two seperate fact tables maybe with common dimensions between them.

-Nathan

chade25

Back to top Go down