Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

map M-M relationship between two fact tables

2 posters

Go down

map M-M relationship between two fact tables  Empty map M-M relationship between two fact tables

Post  sara admin Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 am

i have schema with the following tables :

FactOrder with :OrderKey
Attribute1
Measure1
FactCircut:CircuitKey
Attribute1
Measure1
CircuitOrder:Order-CircuitKey
OrderKey
CircuitKey
StatusKey
DimStatus:StatusKey
StatusName

the relation between circuit and order is M-M .the question is how can i handle this schema in sass,is it right and can be implemented or not???
Thanks in advance for help.

sara admin

Back to top Go down

map M-M relationship between two fact tables  Empty Re: map M-M relationship between two fact tables

Post  ngalemmo Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Here is your problem... the Order and Circuit tables are not fact tables. Fact tables do not have attributes.

Can you explain the business process you are trying to model? A fact table represents business events or states. A dimension table provides context to a business event or state.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

map M-M relationship between two fact tables  Empty Re: map M-M relationship between two fact tables

Post  sara admin Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks a lot for your reply.Attribute in order fact table is a key to order type and in circuit fact table the attribute is a key for date .date and oreder type are dimensions .

sara admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 am

Can you explain the business process you are trying to model? What is a circuit? Are you a electric utility or in the telecom business?

Does an order mean anything if a circuit isn't involved? What measures do you have in the order fact? In the circuit fact?

For example, circuit capacity (bandwidth or load, depending what industry this is) is not a measure. It is an attribute of the circuit. In either business a circuit fact table doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of utilization fact tables that involve a circuit, but circuit is always a dimension.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sara admin Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:34 am

Thanks for your help, appreciated your support.Order is a fact table,the order capture an event .Order might have multiple circuits and the same circuit might belongs to multiple orders .According to business need we decide to make order cube first and then link it to circuit cube.circuit is a fact table it's not include any measures ,but there are multiple dimensions belongs to it..like circuit type and circuit status.Now we need to link the two facts circuit and order and add another attribute on this relationship,the question is can i use factless table or bridge table????and if i decided to implement the fcatless scenario [Order Fact -Circuit Fact -CircuitOrderFactless with the dimension with belongs to circuit and order together ] is it will be a good schema to be implemented in SSAS?? and is it right to add attribute to the factless table i know factless table contains only keys to facts???

sara admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down