Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Link two fact tables with many to many relationship

5 posters

Go down

Link two fact tables with many to many relationship Empty Link two fact tables with many to many relationship

Post  Henar Safwat Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 am

Dear all,

I have two fact tables ,each one connected with number of dim tables.the problem is i need to link those two fact tables as the relation between those fact tables is many-to-many relationship .the new table contain the surrogate key for the other two tables and a key from other dimension.how can i do that ???? thanks in advance for your help .

Henar Safwat

Back to top Go down

Link two fact tables with many to many relationship Empty Re: Link two fact tables with many to many relationship

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

http://www.kimballgroup.com/2005/06/03/design-tip-68-simple-drill-across-in-sql/
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Link two fact tables with many to many relationship Empty Re: Link two fact tables with many to many relationship

Post  Henar Safwat Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks for your help ,but i don't have to make a query against the two fact tables .
in my case i have two fact tables Circuit and Order the relation between them M-M .i want to create an intermediate fact table to capture the changes occurs on those fact tables ,the new fact table will be Circuit-Order which have another dimensions .how can i handle this case????????????

Last edited by sara Dakrory on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More clearing)

Henar Safwat

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:40 am

Are you saying rows will be placed in the circuit/order table as the result of updates to either circuit or order? Or are you building circuit/order as an aggregation of the other two facts?
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Henar Safwat Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:57 am

it's an aggregation with the two facts with another dimensionless on it this new fact .

Henar Safwat

Back to top Go down

Post  sara admin Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 am

sara admin wrote: i think you mean that the new fact table Circuit -Order will contain the keys form the two fact tables and attribute and no measures will exist .

sara admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 pm

If 2 fact tables are joined together, doesn't that technically change the database from a Star Schema to a snow flake?

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down