Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type?

4 posters

Go down

Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type? Empty Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type?

Post  M. Khan Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Currently I am working on a project where the client is insisting to use the data types soure system . I appreciate all input I can receive on this subject.

M. Khan

Back to top Go down

Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type? Empty Re: Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type?

Post  Jeff Smith Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 am

Can you be more specific? Is it just Integers Vs CHAR/VARCHAR or something else?

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type? Empty Re: Is it a best practice that Data warehouse follows the source system data type?

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am

It is not uncommon to use VARCHAR for a source ID that is numeric to allow for future changes. Recommend it, but, if the client insists, do what they ask. After all, its T&M and their money.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

ngalemmo wrote:...After all, its T&M and their money.

LOL. The smart money is on T&M. Some companies still insist on signing "fixed bid" projects which always end up badly for all parties.

If there is only one source, then I would match the source datatypes. If there are two or more sources, then obviously, you need to rationalize the datatypes and lengths.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 pm

It sounds to me like the client was burned once before. Someone changed data types by cutting the length of CHAR fields or changing a CHAR field to Numeric and it caused problems after the vendor left.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:It sounds to me like the client was burned once before. Someone changed data types by cutting the length of CHAR fields or changing a CHAR field to Numeric and it caused problems after the vendor left.

Yep, that would be a problem.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Khan Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Jeff,
Here is a small example, we have custmer type that defines different types of customer types as per the client definition. It is a set of code (i.e. integer) and description(i.e. varchar). The source system allows to leave customer type in customer master null. As a best practice that I have read, columns should not be left as null in data warehouse to avoid any errors in calcualtions in reports. If I make customer type code as varchar, I can make it empty string(since the client is using SQl server). But, If I make the code as integer as per the source system then I cannot leave it as empty string as there is no equivalent to empty string for integer in SQL server to avoid nulls in customer dimension.

M. Khan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Couldn't you define the column so that the default is something other than Null but essentially means Null?

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 pm

M. Khan wrote:Jeff,
... As a best practice that I have read, columns should not be left as null in data warehouse to avoid any errors in calcualtions in reports.

That is not a best practice in my warehouses. Data can be null and as a result, I leave it null. What is a best practice is to associate a fact row to a default dimension row if the dimension is not applicable or known. Additionally, in facts, what do you put in metric columns that don't have a value? 0? Can't use that because its a valid value. -1? That will impact your ability to sum across rows. You have to set the column to null.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Khan Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks you all for contributing on the subject.
The example that I have discussed earlier is about customer dimension. We are going for two members in custmer dimension with surrogate keys 0 and -1. Customer with surrogate key 0 indicates unknown customer and -1 is reserved for not applicable. Customer type is an attribute of customer dimension and there is a requirement that analysis can be done by customer type. Hence, in case of null, ETL will default the Customer Type Code to 0 and description will be populated with the value "Customer type not set".

M. Khan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down