Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Datatype on IsXXXX columns

5 posters

Go down

Datatype on IsXXXX columns Empty Datatype on IsXXXX columns

Post  hirths Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Does anyone have any input on what data type I should make my IsXXXX columns in a dimension

eg. in a date dimension I would have IsLastDayOfMonth

I am using SQL Server, my natural instinct would be to make this a BIT, but it could just as easily be a CHAR(1) with a Y/N value

Any advise on pros/cons of either way would be appreciate

Thanks
Steve

hirths

Back to top Go down

Datatype on IsXXXX columns Empty Re: Datatype on IsXXXX columns

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm

For SQL Server my standard is tinyint and I use values 0,1. This way, I can easily sum these in a fact table. FWIW, I call these indicators, e.g. MONTH_LAST_DAY_IND. I also don't use prepositions such as of, from, to, etc.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  bruce.szalwinski Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 pm

I like ints for the same reason, easy to sum. Since Steve said these were dimension attributes though, I'm tending towards char(1). Sum(isLastDayOfMonth) doesn't make any sense.

bruce.szalwinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I tend to use 3 columns in my dimension table to handle these types of fields. Usually, the source system sends me a 0/1 field. A 1/0 can't really be used in a report and many users won't know how to filter with the such a field. To make it easier to filter, I will add a field with "Yes/No" values. But Yes/No still isn't enough because it doesn't have much use in a report. In the example for a Work_Day_Indicator, I would have a field with the values "Work Day" and "Non Work Day". It takes some work but once it's done, it's done.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  hirths Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback

I can see the merits of using a TINYINT in a fact table to allow aggregation, my main concern was in a dimension, and I can see from an end-user perspective a BIT isn't very descriptive

I think I'll go with adding an extra column along the lines of Jeff's WorkDay/NonWorkDay example.

My example was a bit contrived as well, just trying to think of an example and I was knee deep in my Date dimension at the time.

hirths

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 pm

I leave the conversion of 0 and 1 to something more meaningful for the business to the reporting layer.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  ian chapman Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am

I have used small integre (0 and 1) in the past, with computed columns to represent the Yes/No values. This makes it easier to ensure the values are consistent across attributes.

ian chapman

Back to top Go down