Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calculated dimension attributes based on fact

3 posters

Go down

Calculated dimension attributes based on fact Empty Calculated dimension attributes based on fact

Post  suds.kumar Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 am

Hi,

I have a requirement to have an attribute "Date of Last Purchase" in the Customer Dimension in a simple retail schema where we have Customer dimension (Type-4) and Sales fact. Obviously the attribute "Date of Last Purchase" changes when the customer makes a purchase. I have curently designed it in this way -
1. I have current customer dimension and historical customer dimension (Type-4)
2. "Date of Last Purchase" is an attribute of the current customer dimension and is updated based on incremental sales fact records.

Not going into Type-2/Type-4 reasoning behind the design, I would like to get opinion about if this design is correct where we require calculated dimension attributes based on fact records? How else columns like "Date of Last ...." can be computed? If we do at the report level, then everytime it will scan on-the-fly the whole fact table to get the results.

Thanks

suds.kumar

Back to top Go down

Calculated dimension attributes based on fact Empty Re: Calculated dimension attributes based on fact

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am

So you have a type 2 and a type 1 customer dimensions and together that is called a type 4? I'm confused. Putting the date in a type 1 customer dimension is what I would strive to do. I would not want the massive history generated by a type 2. Alternatively, you can create a type 2 dimension and just not track history for the last purchase date. Either solution is acceptable.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Calculated dimension attributes based on fact Empty Re: Calculated dimension attributes based on fact

Post  ngalemmo Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm lost after three.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down