Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ?

2 posters

Go down

What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ? Empty What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ?

Post  Oleole Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi !

I have investigated several new dimensions that are actually fact tables (mostly factless ?) in our system.
It's in the insurance indstry, and some dimensions have both objects and coverages in the same (dimension/factless-fact-table), (one table even have policies objects and coverages included).
Is it still possible to put these tables to good use, and what will the side-effects be using these ? (I have a hard time telling what problem this might cause)

Looking forward to description of "The Road to Hell" ?

Oleole

Back to top Go down

What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ? Empty Re: What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ?

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm

You can continue to use them as facts with no reservations. I wouldn't add them as dimensions to any new existing facts.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ? Empty What would happen

Post  Oleole Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 am

What would happen if these tables are added to new fact tables ?

Oleole

Back to top Go down

What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ? Empty Re: What Impact do dimensions have that actually are facts ?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down