Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whether to use additional column or use existing

3 posters

Go down

Whether to use additional column or use existing Empty Whether to use additional column or use existing

Post  mr_neal Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello,
I am tracking when call center cases (fact_case) are re-assigned from one person to another using that persons id. Now I find that cases can leave the call center for in-person visits (different mode). I want to use the same column, fk_reassigned_to_id when a case switches modes. Is that an ok solution or should I create a new column something like fk_mode_switch_id?

My main concern with using existing column is that a call center re-assignment is a different process than the mode switch. However, in using different column, I thought there would be difficulty reporting on the complete history of the case, from call center assignment, to re-assignment, to mode switch and possible further re-assignments.

Please let me know your thoughts. thanks

mr_neal

Back to top Go down

Whether to use additional column or use existing Empty Re: Whether to use additional column or use existing

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Sounds like you need a new fact table instead of adding additional FK's. How many times can it get reassigned, once, twice, three times? A reassigned transaction fact would easily handle counting all the variations you have.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Whether to use additional column or use existing Empty Re: Whether to use additional column or use existing

Post  at710 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 pm

-

Last edited by at710 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong thread)

at710

Back to top Go down

Whether to use additional column or use existing Empty Thanks Boxes and Lines!

Post  mr_neal Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks Boxes and Lines! Yes, the case can get re-assigned countless times, and can go from call center to visit, and back to call center, or even Internet and email. However, could you explain your reasoning? I think my concern with creating another fact table is that records would be entered into both fact tables; fact_case to show latest status of a case and "fact_assignment" to show assignments/re-assignments.

Last edited by mr_neal on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : html error)

mr_neal

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Status can generally be tracked via a dimension. The exception is when the status change is an important enough of an event to warrant its own fact table. Otherwise, a type 2 on status can always give you the current and historical status.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Whether to use additional column or use existing Empty Status via Dim

Post  mr_neal Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:21 pm

BoxesAndLines wrote:Status can generally be tracked via a dimension. The exception is when the status change is an important enough of an event to warrant its own fact table. Otherwise, a type 2 on status can always give you the current and historical status.

I do track status via Dim_status, and have a status of re-assigned as well. However, I use the re_assigned_to_id column to track who has the case over time, so I can report on the history of the case. If I create a new fact table, then wouldn't I have to join 2 fact tables in my query to produce the history of a case? I guess what I am failing to understand is the rule for why and when I would create a new fact table. I thought the fact table represented a business process, and our fact_case table tracks the history of a case from "new", "open", "contact made", "supervisor review", "re-assigned", ending with "completed", "incomplete", or "partial" case. Based on your reply, significant events are re-assignment, mode switch, QA/QC, etc. I would need at least 3 additional fact tables, correct? That would mean 4 joins to get case history.

mr_neal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down