Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes/No flag in SSAS

3 posters

Go down

Yes/No flag in SSAS Empty Yes/No flag in SSAS

Post  scabral Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm

I have a claims transaction fact table and some of the transactions are considered "historical" in nature meaning that they were manually entered from a legacy system.

Our business users sometimes need to filter out the Historical transactions when looking at Claim amounts for certain periods. My question is should I create a Historical Type Dimension with Yes/No attributes and have the FK live in the fact table or do i just add a Historical Yes/No field in the fact table as a Degenerate Dimension?

thanks
Scott

scabral

Back to top Go down

Yes/No flag in SSAS Empty Re: Yes/No flag in SSAS

Post  TheNJDevil Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Is there some other dimension that can have the flag added to it? (junk dimension) I would find a place in a dimension that already exists (claimtype?).

TheNJDevil

Back to top Go down

Post  scabral Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 pm

It's really not tied to another of the dimensions that I have setup.

It's basically tied to the individual transaction. Most of the transactions are not historical, but there are a couple hundred that are. I just need a way to filter them out of the cube if the users don't want to include the historical transactions.

scabral

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Use tinyint and put a 1 or 0 in the value, put directly on the fact table. Don't use bit because you can't sum bits.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down