Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

interest rate basis (variable rate products)

3 posters

Go down

interest rate basis (variable rate products) Empty interest rate basis (variable rate products)

Post  ivan77 Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi All,

I am modeling a retail bank. I have read on the forum that it is best to include interest rates as measures, which I will do. What I am trying to figure out is what to do with interest rates that are dependent on some other rate (bank rate, libor). For example, a variable loan rate could have the rate of 10% (fixed) or libor +5% (floating).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ivan

ivan77

Back to top Go down

interest rate basis (variable rate products) Empty Re: interest rate basis (variable rate products)

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Why would they be any different?
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

interest rate basis (variable rate products) Empty Re: interest rate basis (variable rate products)

Post  Mike Honey Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi Ivan,

I'm imagining a dimension attribute e.g. "Interest Rate Dependancy", with values of "fixed" or "libor + 5%" .

The actual rates at points in time would stay in your fact.

Mike
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ivan77 Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm

boxesandlines - one is based on a variable rate and a spread, the other is simply a static rate. So, having the fixed rate in the fact table as is makes sense to me. Not sure what to do with the variable rate scenario. Not sure if I want this cube to do too much, but a useful piece of information for further analysis is whether the rates would change depending on the reference rate (for ALM analysis).

Mike, I guess I could include a variable/fixed attribute in the stripped down dimension (where loans, and deposit products coexist). one thing I am thinking though, is that if I had a "libor+5%) string dependant on the spread, then I would not be able to do any calculation against it.

By "actual rates staying in the fact table", do you mean to add the reference rate + the spread and include that number in the fact table for variable rates?

thanks for the comments.

ivan77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Honey Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:46 pm

"reference rate + the spread in the fact table" - makes sense to me.
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down