Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to model a contract

2 posters

Go down

How to model a contract Empty How to model a contract

Post  hennie7863 Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 am

Hi,

I want to star model a contract between an employer and a employee. The contract has a begin and a enddate. I was thinking about to model this as fact. I am also looking into the HRM solutions of Kimball books. This is another kind of fact than a transaction fact with a timestamp of happening. Currently not quite convinced of this solution. Hope that someone could give some clues.

Gr,
Hennie

hennie7863

Back to top Go down

How to model a contract Empty Re: How to model a contract

Post  min.emerg Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 am

Hi Hennie

You might want to consider a periodic-snapshot fact. If an employee has a contract for 6 months, you'd load 6 records into the fact (one for each month) if you are looking at data month-to-month.

FACT:

Period_______EmployeeKey_______ContractKey________SomeMeasure
201201______1_________________1_________________x
201202______1_________________1_________________x
201203______1_________________1_________________x
201204______1_________________1_________________x
201205______1_________________1_________________x
201206______1_________________1_________________x

Perhaps provide more context around what you're trying to model, including what you're measuring.

min.emerg

Back to top Go down

Post  hennie7863 Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 am

thnx for your reply. Currently looking in the books of kimball and there is also the same solution suggested as you do. The problem is that I do not have a business question. Currently working at a group of analysts and they want to analyze the data. There are some basic questions. So I wanted to start small and take some cyclic steps to improve the data (alla prototyping).

hennie7863

Back to top Go down

Post  min.emerg Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

Ken Collier has written a good book titled Agile Analytics that's specific to business intelligence. The agile approach to analysis that he promotes may be of use to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Analytics-Value-Driven-Intelligence-Warehousing/dp/032150481X

min.emerg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down