Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2 Change Data Capture with SSAS

2 posters

Go down

Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2 Change Data Capture with SSAS Empty Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2 Change Data Capture with SSAS

Post  mat_lane Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:00 am

I'm completely new to SSAS so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. I've been running through the MSDN SSAS tutorial to try and get a handle on how to use SSAS, such is my knowledge.

Our business scenario is this: We have SSRS reports conigured to show a users login history over a given time period. There is a table which has the user id and login time. This is joined to the user management table to display details about the user on the report. However, this is not true point in time reporting as the user details may have changed over that time period, their surname for example. We are not using SSAS at the moment. We do have other, more complicated, requirements but this is a good example to begin with.

As a solution I want to enable SQL Server 2008 CDC on the user management table, pull this data into the reporting database, then transform it into a data warehouse for faster searching.

Firstly, is SSAS the way to go? I could write SQL to get the latest user record for each login, however, it's a little fiddly (especially in queries that have multiple joins) and I don't want to reinvent the wheel if some technology already does that, possibly faster.

If SSAS is indeed the way to go how would I go about achieving this? Has anyone out there already implemented this solution and what did you do?

I've been looking for books or any forum posts and can't find any information on this specific requirement, including emailing people at Kimball. I really need an idiots guide.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mat

mat_lane

Back to top Go down

Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2 Change Data Capture with SSAS Empty Re: Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2 Change Data Capture with SSAS

Post  TheNJDevil Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 am

Focus your research on Dimensional Modeling and Slowly Changing Dimensions. SSAS is an analysis tool. You seem to need to take a step back and learn about DM and SCD types.

TheNJDevil

Back to top Go down