Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handling of SCD type 2 attributes in outrigger dimension

2 posters

Go down

Handling of SCD type 2 attributes in outrigger dimension Empty Handling of SCD type 2 attributes in outrigger dimension

Post  andriy.zabavskyy Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24 am

Let's consider the schema:
Fact Table: Contains network events
Dimension 1: Device Interfaces - physical part or device which is related to specific network event
Dimension 2 (Outrigger): Device - security device which includes device interfaces and is referenced by specific network event. Could be referenced also by other dimensions. Contains SCD type 2 attributes.

Let's suppose I design device dimension as outrigger(separate dimension table) and keep surrogate device key in device interfaces dimension as a reference.
What shall I do in case a change of type 2 occurs in device dimension and a new record is being added to device dimension? Shall I update keys in device interface dimension to point them to the current row in device dimension?

Thanks

andriy.zabavskyy

Back to top Go down

Handling of SCD type 2 attributes in outrigger dimension Empty Re: Handling of SCD type 2 attributes in outrigger dimension

Post  ngalemmo Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:01 pm

I would keep the attributes in both rather than snowflake. The type 1 would always be current. This makes it easy to report either current or point in time values.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down