Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Data WebHouse WebObject Dimension modeling

2 posters

Go down

Data WebHouse WebObject Dimension modeling Empty Data WebHouse WebObject Dimension modeling

Post  tmrUCH Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi,

First of all, please excuse me if my english is a little rough.

I work in a media company. The main objective of this tool is to determine correlation between demographic attributes of users and the type of information they consume on the website.

There are two types of web objects on which we want to measure how users interact: News (text included on a page) and videos.

The ClickstreamEvent table will include the user and the URL of the object. My question is, how to model the webObject dimension? Videos and News have very different attributes, and there are different typres of videos and different types of news... I don't see where i can make the difference so i can filter the information. Maybe two different fact tables? One for videos and one for news?

Any advice will be most welcome.

tmrUCH

Back to top Go down

Data WebHouse WebObject Dimension modeling Empty Data WebHouse WebObject Dimension modeling

Post  zoom Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:04 am

It depends on how much data do you have. You can create one "Media Dim" with media type "News" or "Video", if you have a small sets of data. The rule of thumb is if data is correlated from two different entities then it should be kept together in one dim. You can have another "sub media type" to store what kind of news or video it is. That dim can act as a role playing dim... meaning if a user reads sports news then Fact table FK say news_media_ID from the dim and if same user watches a video then FK to fact table say video_media_ID from the dim.

zoom

Back to top Go down