Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

normalization in the dimensional model

3 posters

Go down

normalization in the dimensional model Empty normalization in the dimensional model

Post  sonia88 Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 am

Hi, my English is not very good...I have a question....
Does the dimensional model is an entity-relationship model? dimensional model is normalized? in which normal form is?

thanks

sonia88

Back to top Go down

normalization in the dimensional model Empty Re: normalization in the dimensional model

Post  ngalemmo Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Is a dimensional model an entity-relationship model? No. What differentiates a model is the method by which the model is created. Methods to create a dimensional model are different than methods to create an ER model. You still wind up with tables, columns and relationships (if implemented in a relational database) but they are not the same thing.

Is a dimensional model normalized? No. Again, it has to do with the method. To create a normalized model, you need perform normalization, which is a series of steps to break the model down to a specific form. You do not perform those steps creating a dimensional model. You can describe individual tables within a dimensional model as having a particular level of normalization, but the model itself is not in a normalized form.

In which normal form is a dimensional model? It isn't and it doesn't matter. It is what it is.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

normalization in the dimensional model Empty normalization in the dimensional model

Post  sonia88 Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:59 pm

thank you very much......his response to me was a great help......THANKS

sonia88

Back to top Go down

normalization in the dimensional model Empty Re: normalization in the dimensional model

Post  umutiscan Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:46 am

Hang described normalisation approach in dimensional model like below in another topic. I liked his description.

"Dimensional modelling is about denormalising dimensions and normalising facts ... So the fact tables should be normalized by replacing all the repeating groups(attributes) with dimension keys."

umutiscan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down