Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to avoid snowflaking?

2 posters

Go down

How to avoid snowflaking? Empty How to avoid snowflaking?

Post  amir2 Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:16 am

Hello

We have a FactDailyBalances snapshot table surrounded by DimAccount and DimDate dimensions. There are other dimensions too and we have avoided snowflaking i.e. we have a simple star schema.

The scenario I am grappling with is this: DimAccount has an OpenedDate attribute which at the moment is not linked to DimDate. Because of this, using the Cube, it is not possible to use a lot of the really useful date related attributes on DimDate. If I link OpenedDate to DimDate, I will end up with a snowflake:

DimAccount <---- FactDailyBalances ---> DimDate
|-----------------------------------------A

Is there a way achieving what I need without snowflaking?

amir2

Back to top Go down

How to avoid snowflaking? Empty Re: How to avoid snowflaking?

Post  ngalemmo Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 pm

I am not a proponent of snowflake, which I think is obvious from prior postings. However, if you need the attributes, this would be a case where a snowflake makes sense. I say this because something like open date is static and it doesn't make much sense to include it as an FK on all facts that also reference account. The other alternative would be to place selected date attributes in the account dimension, but there is always the risk you miss something the user wants to use, and it kind of looks bad...
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down