Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split hierarchies and hierarchy levels into multiple dimensions

2 posters

Go down

Split hierarchies and hierarchy levels into multiple dimensions Empty Split hierarchies and hierarchy levels into multiple dimensions

Post  dim67 Fri May 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Folks,

According to Dr. Kimball hierarchy belongs in a single, physical flat dimension table. Resist the urge to "snowflake" a hierarchy by generating a set of progressively smaller subdimension tables. I have the following hierarchy from OLTP system. Many Feeders roll up into a single subbank. Many subbanks roll up into a single substation. Many substation roll up into a single opcenter, and so on up to company. The dimension in this case is expressed at the lowest level of granularity ( such as feeder) then all the higher levels of the hierarchy can be expressed as unique values in the feeder record. Should I create a one dimension table containig all of this levels? or 5 separate
dim tables?.

Thanks in advance,

dim67

Back to top Go down

Split hierarchies and hierarchy levels into multiple dimensions Empty Re: Split hierarchies and hierarchy levels into multiple dimensions

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd follow Kimball's advice.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down