Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values

2 posters

Go down

Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values Empty Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values

Post  sqlkiller Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am struggling to find a way out for my problem with clinical data mart where i have 3 dimensions and one fact table

Dimension tables are --<1. Patient, Provider, Lab_tests

Fact Table is --> 1. Fact_labresult

My fact table looks like below image which has lab result values which are not perfect measures or int values.

can any one suggest me a best method how to represent this lab values in my fact table. Do i need to use degenerate dimension but this lab values are about 88,000000 rows of data.

Please suggest me what to do, if i convert it to int , i will loose the data which is of the form Negative,>somevalue etc..
Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values Labfac11

sqlkiller

Back to top Go down

Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values Empty Fact Dimension

Post  BrentGreenwood Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:26 pm

This exact scenario is covered in Kimball's DW Toolkit. In the Healthcare chapter (13, p.269). Fact Dimension for Sparse Facts. Also covered in the Reader (8.24 & 8.25).

Essentially you can use an additional dimension to signify what type of measure your measure is. And store textual values off the fact table in a separate dimension.

Hope this helps.

BrentGreenwood

http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values Empty Re: Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values

Post  sqlkiller Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks a lot!
This helped me, i was able to build the cube and customer is really happy.

sqlkiller

Back to top Go down

Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values Empty Re: Lab Result values in Fact Table has int and non int values

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down