Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Physical Deletes in Source Systems?

2 posters

Go down

Physical Deletes in Source Systems? Empty Physical Deletes in Source Systems?

Post  jchernev Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello,

We have an interesting situation in my company's environment. We're experiencing physical deletes in the source OLTP systems and some of the facts/dimensions are never seen by the data warehouse environment as the deletes happen prior to the DW getting updated.

What's the best way to handle this restriction if we would like to implement incremental updates (as in more than once/day) in our DW environment?

Thanks!

jchernev

Back to top Go down

Physical Deletes in Source Systems? Empty Re: Physical Deletes in Source Systems?

Post  PeteGrace Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Depending on how much access you have to the source system and what DBMS it's running on, some Change Data Capture implementations - the one that I know of being SQL Server 2008 - will use the transaction logs to determine data changes, and will therefore detect and log deletions.

If that's not an option (and assuming you don't have enough influence to get the source system fixed!) then I think you're going to need a full load as the first step, but that doesn't mean you can't process incrementally once you've got it in your staging database.

The approach I've adopted where physical deletes are possible in the source data is to merge the full data set (or at least the columns I'm interested in) from the source system into a replica of the table in our staging database, applying a changed_date to each row we insert or update. If a row exists in our replica but not the source data then we give it a deleted_flag of 1 and again set the changed_date, then all processing thereafter can work off that date to load the rest of the warehouse incrementally. We use a MERGE statement so can take advantage of the WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE, but WHERE NOT EXISTS would also do the job.

PeteGrace

Back to top Go down