Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem while Designing Fact table

3 posters

Go down

Problem while Designing Fact table Empty Problem while Designing Fact table

Post  cognos Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:37 am

Hello Experts,

I have a requirement where I have to show user Total of a measure for selected week, selected week-1, Selected week -2, 12 weeks average , YTD values as a row.

Example

Consider a table with column names as below (in the same order)

Product , Region, Account , Week , 12 weeks average,Selected week -2,selected week-1,selected week
A USA X 2011-W01 5 3 2 1
A USA X 2011-W02 5 3 2 1

This fact table is built on a transaction table.
Now the problem is If for a Week there is no data , in fact table that does not get recorded Due to this the values in Selected week -2,selected week-1 is not coming as zero.

In short , my problem i have to record rows in every possible combination of all dimensions, which is not a case in transactional fact table. Some one suggested me to insert dummy rows. Is that the only way?

Our users use Cognos as reporting software on which I work ,my etl team is relatively lesser experienced so i would be glad if you can let me know some ways to handle .

Regards

cognos

Back to top Go down

Problem while Designing Fact table Empty Re: Problem while Designing Fact table

Post  BrentGreenwood Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:52 am

Cognos -

I would recommend handling this in an OLAP layer. You can build calculated measures for those trailing periods. MDX is very capable of time-intelligence calcs like this.

If you force the solution to the relational layer in a physical table, you would need to go with a periodic snapshot fact table. But including trailing period measures like that can get messy fast, especially if your environment has back-dated transactions. You're ETL would have to manage all rows that had trailing period measures that covered a date range including the back-dated date.

Hope that helps.

BrentGreenwood

http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:15 am

Or you could build a coverage factless fact table that contains events that did not occur. Ralph had a link to this article but it no longer appears to be working. Broken Link
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down