Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie - Star Schema Advice

2 posters

Go down

Newbie - Star Schema Advice Empty Newbie - Star Schema Advice

Post  arfan Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:49 am

I need help fitting my last dimension into a classic star schema Im designing. The business use is for vendors to submit product information to various businesses.

My fact table is submissions that is connected to various dimensions (vendor, business, products, manufacturer, etc.)

My question surrounds a dimension called product_questions. I need this dimension because each business can define what questions they want a vendor to answer about a product before it is submitted to their company. Im trying to avoid adding a column for each new question a business wants to ask in this table but as a newbie Im not seeing any other way to capture this data. I know I'm missing something simple and Im hoping you can point me in the right direction. Is there something in the snowflake schema that addresses this?

Thanks in advance.

arfan

Back to top Go down

Newbie - Star Schema Advice Empty Re: Newbie - Star Schema Advice

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:23 am

It almost sounds like another fact table. The other option is to build a bridge table to handle the lower level grain of the product question dimension.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down