How to model team formation for a certain date

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to model team formation for a certain date

Post  Bergtroll on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:58 am

Hello again,

I have another supposedly easy to answer question to learn more about the modeling!? Given I want to historize my small town sports club administration. I have the club departments, the playgrounds suitable for one ore more departments and the forms of sport. Any sport uses only one playground at a time. E.g. we have the ball sports department and the fitness department. There are a sports hall, a gym and a soccer field. The fitness department is allowed to use the sports hall and the gym, the ball sports department the hall and the soccer field. From January till July the handball team uses the hall and the soccer team uses the soccer field. From August to December they swap. Now my question: How do I model the linkage between those entities? According to the reading of kimballs books a fact table should contain a summable quantity but I do not need to sum up anything. I just want to know, which sport from which department was allowed to use which playground in a certain month? Would I just use a fact table only containing foreign keys?

kind regards,

Bergtroll

Bergtroll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to model team formation for a certain date

Post  BoxesAndLines on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 am

You sure you want a dimensional model? It sure sounds like you need an OLTP model.
BoxesAndLines

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:23 am

Yes, you can create fact tables that do not have measures.
ngalemmo

View user profile http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bergtroll on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Hey thank you again. Any hint for readings about when fact tables without measures are appropriate? :-)

EDIT:
With your hint I know noticed, that I was searching for the keyword "factless fact table". Thats what I needed!
@see: http://www.kimballgroup.com/html/designtipsPDF/DesignTips2003/KimballDT50FactlessFact.pdf

Bergtroll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top