Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table?

5 posters

Go down

Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table? Empty Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table?

Post  BI Consultant Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm new to dimensional modeling, and need help understanding an entry to a fact table. I have an Fact table called "Ship_Arrival_Fact", and a fact row gets one entry each time a ship visits a channel (i.e. each time there's one visit). I need a Visit ID to identify each visitation, but I guess the Visit ID field won't go in any dimension. It's a numeric, but is not additive, that is, it's just an ID like 1234. From Kimball DW toolkit, I understand all fact table entries should be measurements.

Please advise where to place this Visit ID.

Thanks in advance!

BI Consultant

Back to top Go down

Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table? Empty Re: Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table?

Post  ohmycamote Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Look at Factless Fact Tables - that might help you with your problem.

ohmycamote

Back to top Go down

Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table? Empty Re: Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table?

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

It is a degenerate dimension. Put it in the fact table. If it were character, the answer would be the same.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  LAndrews Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:23 pm

I'll echo what BoxesAndLines said - treat it as a degenerate dimension.

Since it is an ID, you may want to convert it to a chararacter string as well - some BI tools will assume that all numeric fields are measures and automatically try and summarize the column.

LAndrews

Back to top Go down

Post  nutjob_29 Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Its a degenrate dimension.. it can be placed in fact table.. there is no corresponding dimension table of attributes associated with it..

nutjob_29

Back to top Go down

Does numeric Visit ID go in a fact table? Empty Thanks!

Post  BI Consultant Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll place it in the fact table and treat it as a degenerate dimension.

BI Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down