Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views

3 posters

Go down

Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views Empty Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views

Post  cjrinpdx Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:50 pm

I am working for a client and they would like me to use already developed views to access the source data for several dimension. I understand the benefits of using views, but for getting source data I would prefer to go directly to the source system's tables. Should I get over it, or is using views a bad idea? Thanks.

cjrinpdx

Back to top Go down

Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views Empty Re: Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views

Post  hang Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 pm

cjrinpdx wrote:I understand the benefits of using views, but for getting source data I would prefer to go directly to the source system's tables. Should I get over it, or is using views a bad idea? Thanks.
Why is using views a bad idea? I would love to use views for getting source data as they provide a flexible layer for your ETL.

hang

Back to top Go down

Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views Empty Re: Getting Dimension Source Data from Existing Views

Post  cjrinpdx Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I would like to get as close to the source data as possible, and I don't want to be dependent on any design/data decisions that were made when writing the view. I should note that these view were not written to support the ETL process, but were existing views used by programmers and report writers. Thanks.

cjrinpdx

Back to top Go down

Post  hang Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm

cjrinpdx wrote:I should note that these view were not written to support the ETL process, but were existing views used by programmers and report writers.
If the views don't give you enough data, then you may tell them to add them in. The point is some views may already contain some complex business logics that you may not want to repeat in your ETL. If none of the existing views is useful to you, then you don't have choice but creating your own views or queries.

hang

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I agree with Hang that using views is not a bad idea. But at the same time, you bring up a good point that one has to be careful as to the purpose and use of an existing view.

There is a danger in enhancing an existing view for cross purposes. An 'enhancement' may have detrimental effects on current uses. If the shop insists on using views, review what is available and where necessary, ask for purpose built views to address ETL needs... and hope they agree.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down