Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table?

2 posters

Go down

How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table? Empty How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table?

Post  thomaszhwang Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I have an Employee dimension table and in this dimension table there is a Salary field. How can I design the table so that we can easily track the change of salary of an employee?

In this dimension table, I have already had an Effective_Start_Date (type: datetime), Effective_End_Date (type: datetime) and Effective_Current (type: bit) to track the changes of those SCD fields. Should I create separate fields (Salary_Effective_Start_Date, Salary_Effective_End_Date and Salary_Effective_Current) to track the salary specifically?

Thanks.

thomaszhwang

Back to top Go down

How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table? Empty Re: How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table?

Post  LAndrews Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

If Salary is a type-2 attribute, then changes will be tracked.

If you need to analyse the changes, then a bit more info may be required

- you may want to have a "change-desc" column (either on the dimension or audit record) that can contain the change drivers. For example, if the type-2 change is driven by changes to the job and salary info, the change desc column could contain "JOB,SALARY"

- if you want to easily determine the amount of change, you may want to add columns such as "Prev Salary" or "Salary Change Amt".

LAndrews

Back to top Go down

How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table? Empty Re: How to track the change of a specific field in a dimension table?

Post  thomaszhwang Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:02 pm

LAndrews wrote:
If Salary is a type-2 attribute, then changes will be tracked.

If you need to analyse the changes, then a bit more info may be required

- you may want to have a "change-desc" column (either on the dimension or audit record) that can contain the change drivers. For example, if the type-2 change is driven by changes to the job and salary info, the change desc column could contain "JOB,SALARY"

- if you want to easily determine the amount of change, you may want to add columns such as "Prev Salary" or "Salary Change Amt".

This is very helpful. Thank you.

thomaszhwang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down