Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modeling IT Infrastructure

3 posters

Go down

Modeling IT Infrastructure Empty Modeling IT Infrastructure

Post  jball Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm developing a data warehouse for an IT infrastructure to reflect a service oriented architecture. Examples of some facts are:

Inventory of devices deployed
Inventory of devices not deployed
Device purchases/leases
Device utilization

Devices would be associated with servers, storage arrays, networking. I'm curious if anyone has worked with creating a dimensional model for something like this. I'm a little hung up on how to do the hierarchy of devices and track deployed devices. For example, an infrastructure would consist of a datacenter, which contains cabinets, containing racks, containing chasis, containing servers.

I need to track the amount of servers being used along with the amount of chasis being used that contain the servers. I know so many servers can be in a specified type of chasis. The 'Deployed Device Inventory Snapshot' fact could be at the server grain. There could then be a dimension handling the hierarchy of the system to allow calculations I suppose for number of chasis deployed, and other metrics ... given a number of servers that a particular chasis can have. Or would a better approach be to have separate deployed inventory facts for each item in the hierarchy? For example, have a separate fact for servers, chasis, racks, cabinets with metrics for each of those?

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with something like this?

jball

Back to top Go down

Modeling IT Infrastructure Empty Re: Modeling IT Infrastructure

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

I've not developed a dimensional modeling for this domain, but what may help in understanding the data relationships is a logical data model. I have found once I have a normalized model of the data, building the dimensional model is significantly easier.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Wither chassis, racks, cabinets is a hierarchy of chassis or separate dimensions depends on the attributes associated with each. Either way could work.

Depending on what you are trying to model, there are a variety of different fact tables.

For example, if you are simply modeling the service dates of a server, then a state fact with server, location (or chassis, rack, cabinet dimensions if you don't use a hierarchy), and begin/end service dates would suffice. If you are modeling events relating to a server, then an additional event type dimension, a single event date dimension (instead of begin and end dates), a timestamp if needed (degenerate dimension) and whatever measures are applicable would be added.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down