Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Requirement gathering

4 posters

Go down

Requirement gathering  Empty Requirement gathering

Post  dwcurious Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:55 am

I would be meeting up with client and would start requirements gathering,business as well technical. What type of questions should i ask and how does each of those questions help in the design?

dwcurious

Back to top Go down

Requirement gathering  Empty Requirement Gathering

Post  mohamed Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:34 am

Prepare a questionnaire for business and technical which mainly includes the existing environments,current anamolies,scope and the expectations in the new development phase etc.,

Below are some few points that has to be considered while requirement gathering.This can be broken down in to smaller pieces and framed as a separate questions
1.Environment related questions: sizing ,db setup etc.,
2.Business related questions: Business Scenarios/case studies,pitfalls in the current system,formulae,balances and transactions etc.,
3.Testing Strategies: Automated,Type of Testing,etc.,
4.Based on the Business requriements ,feasibility analysis has to be done whether it can be achieved in the tools.
5.List of source systems,metadata inputs,target details ,latency etc.,

mohamed

Back to top Go down

Requirement gathering  Empty Re: Requirement gathering

Post  snchunduru Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:18 pm

dwcurious wrote:I would be meeting up with client and would start requirements gathering,business as well technical. What type of questions should i ask and how does each of those questions help in the design?

There are several ways of gathering requirements based on the size and complexity of the Organisation. It is not clear what stage you are in BI project – greenfield, start up or matured to provide more applicable suggestions. However you may consider the following steps.

a) Interview senior management / Stakeholders for strategic alignment - Use questionnaire 1
b) Interview business / Management for business issues and how to add business value - Use questionnaire 2 (cascading the questionnaire 1 in some cases)
c) Gather business requirements from power users / Analysts – Use Requirements Template / Functional Spec Template
d) Gather technical information from system administrators – Use Data Source Analysis template and Technical Architecture Template if you are looking to establish BI environments as well.

I am happy to share some of these templates if you send me a private mail with your email ID.

Good luck and Best Regards

snchunduru

Back to top Go down

Post  t2600n Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 pm

I agree, although a feasibility analysis is very important!

Great suggestions guys!

Jan

t2600n

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down