Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MQT vs Aggregate Tables vs Cubes

3 posters

Go down

MQT vs Aggregate Tables vs Cubes Empty MQT vs Aggregate Tables vs Cubes

Post  dwcurious Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 am

I want to move some aggregation out of reports. Which would be a better fit? I wanted to understand why i should go for one option as compared with the other.

dwcurious

Back to top Go down

MQT vs Aggregate Tables vs Cubes Empty Re: MQT vs Aggregate Tables vs Cubes

Post  dwcurious Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:52 am

Could anyone help

dwcurious

Back to top Go down

Post  hang Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:49 am

They serve different purposes. MQT and aggregates are purely for performance and need proper strategy for maintenance in ETL. Cubes give you performance, consistency and rich features, but using MDX and trying to get aggregates out of cubes is not for the faint-of-heart. If you like challenge, go for cubes.

hang

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:39 am

I would use an MQT or aggregate table to improve performance of a report.

Aggregate tables are good when the table has history that can take a long time to recreate in an MQT and if the aggregations are built by removing dimension keys from the detailed table.

The MQT is better if it can be run in a relatively short time and if you need to roll up data to the middle of a hierarchy.

If the MQT takes to long to refresh from the source and it is rolling up the data to the middle of a hierachy, consider doing both. Create an aggregate table that is created by removing dimension keys and summing up the data and an MQT that uses the aggregate table and further aggregates the data to the middle of a hierachy.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down