Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Master Data Management

2 posters

Go down

Master Data Management Empty Master Data Management

Post  mark.tan Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:53 am

Hi All,

I think more organizations (with disparate systems) are beginning to realize the need to address the issue of having a standardize master data repository before embarking on a DW project. Different vendors have different ideas about implementing MDM (esp. with SOA). I am just wondering while there is definitely a need to have common repository to house all these master data, but is it advisable to implement them as dimensional tables? Or in a more convensional method to store this master tables (outside DW)?

Anyone with such experiences, please enlightened my thoughts...

Cheer,
Mark
mark.tan
mark.tan

Back to top Go down

Master Data Management Empty Re: Master Data Management

Post  BoxesAndLines Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:07 pm

You don't need a MDM repository to do a data warehouse. You don't need a MDM repository period. The vast majority of companies manage to make large sums of profit each year with redundant data stores stuffed full of inconsistent data. I would not implement a dimensional data structure to support a MDM repository. The MDM access paths are more like the typical OLTP access paths than a standard dimensional query. You certainly can source a dimension from a MDM repository though. Life in the data warehouse would clearly be easier with a MDM repository in place.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down