Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)?

3 posters

Go down

Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)? Empty Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)?

Post  hennie7863 Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 am

I've a couple of Y/N fields and i've translated them into 0 and 1 for summarizing the results. Now my customers are telling me they can't select on measures (in Excel/cube). I'm thinking to build a Factdimension (in SSAS) with these Y/N fields.

I'm thinking about building them both..

Is this correct?

Hennie

hennie7863

Back to top Go down

Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)? Empty Re: Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)?

Post  hang Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:39 am

First of all, these flags are dimensions with very low cardinality. So combining them into a junk dimension makes perfect sense.

If you want to derive some measures out of the junk dimension for the cube, you could always do that in a fact view so you still have the junk dimension key for each record in the view.

hang

Back to top Go down

Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)? Empty Re: Y/N fields in dimension or as measure with 0 and 1 (or both)?

Post  John Simon Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:37 pm

There are a dimension, not a measure. Whether you include them in a junk dimension or not, they should be renamed to something descriptive e.g. for an attribute of ManagedFund the values should be not be Y/N but rather Managed Fund, Unmanaged Fund.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down